If you’re looking for an easy yet delicious vegetarian side dish, this is exactly what you’ve been searching for.
Made with tender organic zucchini from Krave Organic, this Italian-inspired salad is a perfect accompaniment to grilled chicken or fish.
If you’re a pasta lover, why not try tossing it together with some al-dente fettuccine and extra Parmesan for a complete meal? I promise you it will not disappoint.
The best part of this dish for me is the Parmesan cheese. I adore its sharp, salty taste and its complex, nutty aroma.
Although cheese is high in saturated fat and sodium, it also enhances tastiness and satiety. Balancing both health and taste, I mindfully chose to include a small amount of Parmesan cheese as a garnish. Who says healthy food has to taste boring?
This dish was quick to prepare as well. Slice the zucchini with a vegetable peeler to make pretty ribbons without using a knife. Once you have all the ingredients ready, it only takes a minute to warm everything through. Before you know it, you’ll have a feast for the eyes and mouth.
Eat This Mindfully
Prepare: Take a few deep breaths and scan your body. Do you notice yourself holding tension in your stomach, shoulders, jaw, or anywhere else? If so, relax those areas as much as you can. What do you notice about your hunger and fullness levels?
Look: What looks appetizing to you about this dish? What do you notice about the colours of the zucchini, cheese, and pine nuts? How much food is on your plate?
Smell: Take a deep breath and smell the zucchini salad. Notice if you enjoy the way it smells.
Taste: Do you taste the saltiness from the cheese? The acidity of the apple cider vinegar? Or a slight sweetness from the pine nuts? What else do you taste?
Check in: What changes do you notice in your hunger and fullness? How do you know when you’re ready to stop eating?
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 3 small zucchini, thinly sliced using a vegetable peeler
- 1/8 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 Roma tomatoes, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp shaved Parmesan cheese, or more as desired
- 1 tbsp toasted pine nuts
- 1 tsp chopped parsley
- Extra virgin olive oil to drizzle
- In a large saute pan over medium-high, heat up 2 tsp olive oil until hot.
- Saute sliced zucchini and red onion for 1 minute.
- Add diced tomatoes, apple cider vinegar, salt, and stir to combine.
- Garnish with shaved Parmesan cheese, toasted pine nuts, chopped parsley and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil before serving. Enjoy while it's still slightly warm.